It's the last day of February and, in my opinion, the best day of the month; Pancake Day! Although pancakes aren't just reserved for one particular day of the year (I don't know what I'd do without my weekly Sunday brunch!), there's something so nostalgic about Shrove Tuesday. Some of my best memories involve my dad making the most amazing pancakes and flipping them with ease. This blueberry and vanilla variation doesn't really resemble the pancakes of my youth - crepe-style, doused with lemon juice and sprinkled with sugar - but they're delicious, regardless!
Makes 6 - 7 small pancakes
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup plain flour (I used gluten-free as that's what I had on hand but regular will work too!)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut/brown sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- oil of choice for cooking (I use coconut)
Firstly, make your flax eggs; simply mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a cup and leave it for 10 - 15 minutes to thicken up.
Once your flax eggs are ready you can begin making the pancakes. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, then add the sugar and stir it all together. Add the dairy-free milk, vanilla extract and flax eggs, and whisk until you get a smooth mixture. Finally, stir in the blueberries.
Heat a small amount of your oil of choice in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat (I use a Green Pan which is fab but Debenhams have a great range of other frying pans if you're looking to get a new one!). When the oil has heated up, pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture into the centre of the pan. Let it cook for a minute or two, until bubbles start forming on the top, then flip it over and cook for another 30 seconds or so. Repeat with the rest of mixture, then go crazy with your toppings and enjoy! My favourite toppings include fresh berries, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla sugar, coconut flakes and chocolate chips - maybe not all at the same time though!
Products used in this post:
- Green Pan 'Minneapolis' 24cm Frying Pan
- Joseph Joseph Large 'Shake It' Self-Tapping Sieve
- Joseph Joseph 'Whiskle' 2-in-1 Whisk
- Joseph Joseph 'Elevate' Spatula
- Joseph Joseph 'Catcher' Citrus Reamer
Note: this post was part of a Debenhams Pancake Day campaign but, as usual, all writing, opinions and recipes are my own.